WATER IS THE FOUNDATION OF PROGRESS
Every day each one of us on this planet either prospers or is suppressed based on their availability of water. Clean Water, along with adequate Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), are fundamental human needs and basic rights for all people. Water can be the greatest catalyst of progress and inspire change. Unfortunately, for one out of every ten people in the world, accessing clean water each day is a critical struggle.
- 663 million people go without daily access to clean, safe drinking water.
- At least 1.8 billion people globally use a source of drinking water that is fecally contaminated.
- But water scarcity affects more than 40 per cent of the global population and is projected to rise. Over 1.7 billion people are currently living in river basins where water use exceeds recharge.
- 2.4 billion people lack access to basic sanitation services, such as toilets or latrines.
- More than 80 per cent of wastewater resulting from human activities is discharged into rivers or sea without any pollution removal.
- Each day, nearly 1,000 children die due to preventable water and sanitation-related diarrhoeal diseases.
Collectively, great improvements have been made to improving clean water access for all in the last 15 years. Unfortunately, the most neglected populations who need progress the most have seen little of this improvement. It is for this populations, Untapped Shores has developed the Pure Shores CPS.
LARGE SCALE & A TOTAL WASH SOLUTION
Clean drinking water is priority #1. We also understand that sustainability relies on fixing the Total problem.
The Hierarchy of water requirements illustrates that adequate quantities of water for drinking and cooking provides for short-term survival. Unfortunately, most clean water interventions stop here. However, when large quantities of clean water are made available improvements in sanitation, hygiene, entrepreneurial endeavors (associated with clean water), and even farming are possible. Real change.
The Pure Shores CPS is designed for large scale water purification
TOTAL WASH SOLUTION
To maximize effectiveness and sustainability of a Clean Water solution it must simultaneously also improve Sanitation and Hygiene (TOTAL WASH). Untapped Shores and the Pure Shores CPS will be a leader in achieving the primary two goals of Sustainable Goal #6: Clean Water and Sanitation for All:
- By 2030, achieve universal and equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water for all
- By 2030, achieve access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all, paying special attention to the needs of women and girls and those in vulnerable situations
Daily access to clean drinking water will serve as a catalyst to helping to achieve the other 16 Sustainable Development Goals outlined by the United Nations.
Learn more about the UN Sustainable Development goals.